Tuesday, October 12, 2010

It's bath time: Let's heat that water!

My little guy, Matt, is currently marinating in his bath tub. It is hot here in Houston, and he sweats easily, and hates that. So the best way to make sure he stays a happy camper is to put him in a bathtub with some cool water. And a few toys.
So I take this opportunity to talk about a few things I care about. One is reducing my environmental impact by trying to limit my energy consumption. And one easy step for that is to turn down the temperature of your water heater. It does not need to be that hot, and on top of that, hot water is dangerous for babies.
An other step you can take is touching your water heater tank and if it feels warm to the touch, that means it's not insulated enough, and some of the energy used to heat our water simply goes to heating your attic, or wherever your heater is located. And we don't like that, now do we? One step we can take (I haven't done it myself yet, but I will I promise!), is to buy an insulated blanket, they make ones specially for that kind of things, and wrap it around your heater. Should keep the water longer without the heater having to, well... heat it. In the end all that should save you some bucks, and be good for the environment too!

No comments:

Post a Comment